1. Cut back on your carbohydrate intake
2. Do your workout as soon as you get out of bed on an empty stomach
3. Have your largest meal at the beginning of the day
4. Have 6 small meals a day instead of three big ones
5. Eat your meals every three hours to keep your metabolism going
6. Increase fiber intake. It’s rumored that for every gram of fiber you consume you burn 7 calories!
7. Workout for at least 30 minutes a day.
8. Have two glasses of water before you eat
9. Don’t eat carbs after 7pm
10. If you must snack, have fruit or vegetables instead of junk food
11. Drink protein shakes low in carbs for a good post workout energizer
12. Ensure you take multivitamins! You feel hungrier when malnourished
13. Start buying the low calorie options at the supermarket. Instead of full fat cheese opt for light.
14. Drink a black coffee before working out. It speeds your heart rate and has 0 calories!
15. Cut out the notorious ‘fat photo’ to stick on the fridge. When you open it up you will have a reminder of what you don’t want to look like.
16. Take before and after photos of yourself. When you compare them and see progress you will be ten times more motivated!
17. Drink green tea! It will speed up your metabolism
18. Decide on a goal weight and mark down on a calender. Look at it everyday to remind yourself how much time you have
19. Don’t binge! Instead have a ‘cheat meal’. One day a week allow yourself to eat whatever you want. No matter how fatty or how sugary! The idea is to have as many calories in this meal as possible. It will shock your metabolism into speeding up and actually aid your weight loss! You may only do this if you have been good on your diet through the week.
20. Do your exercise while watching tv. The time will fly!
21. Associate exercise with positive feelings. It will be hard to do at first. Instead of thinking ‘oh no I have to go to the gym’ try ‘yay I get to go to the gym and do something positive for myself’
22. Only weigh yourself once a week to avoid discouragement. If you are weighing yourself everyday you might get depressed and lose hope. This could lead to a binge! Which we all know is very very bad for your diet.
23. Don’t think of your healthy eating habits as a diet. Diets are something you do to lose weight. If you come off the ‘diet’ you will put it all back on. Think of it as a new lifestyle. Something which you will be able to keep up forever.
24. Write down a list of reasons that you need to lose weight
25. Tell a friend your goal weight and the date which you will reach it. If somebody else knows about your goal you will have more pressure to achieve it.
26. Start reading the nutrition labels on food before you buy it
27. Don’t do the grocery shopping when you are hungry. Chances are you will buy junk food! And way too much of it at that.
28. If you are going to have a coffee, ask for light milk and have a sugar substitute instead of the real thing.
29. If you are going to be eating at a restaurant, order a lean meat with a side salad.
30. Cut out juices and soft drinks. They are just empty calories.
31. If you feel like you are going to cave in and eat something bad. Have a low fat chocolate icecream from wendys or something equivalent. Two low fat ice creams during the week is better than a junk food binge.
32. Workout with a friend, Time will go much faster.
33. Don’t workout with a friend who is less fit than you. Make sure you surround yourself with people who will inspire and motivate you!
34. Park the car in the furtherest spot away that you can so you walk more
35. Take the stairs instead of the lift
36. If somebody gives you a compliment on your weight loss don’t say things like ‘no i haven’t I’m still huge’. Give yourself some credit. Accept the compliment graciously and you will be on top of the world!
37. Set realistic goals. If you set unrealistic goals chances are you will be less motivated and give up.
38. Don’t skip breakfast EVER! This is the most important meal of the day. Your body wont start burning fat until you eat.
39. If somebody in your family or one of your friends tells you that you don’t need to lose weight, chances are they are trying to make you feel better. We all know the person who is brutally honest. Ask for their opinion.
40. Buy a pair of expensive jeans that you will be able to fit into when you have lost the weight. That way you will be much more determined because you don’t want that money to go to waste!
41. If you are a woman, don’t go on a diet with a man. Men have the ability to lose weight faster than women as they have naturally faster metabolisms and women have an extra layer of fat. If you see them losing weight faster than you, you may lose motivation.
42. If you have a thin friend who eats whatever they like, that does not mean you can do the same.
43. Calculate your BMR (basal metabolic rate) This is the amount of calories your body will burn without you having to do anything.
44. Cut your portion sizes in half.
45. Write down the reasons you need to lose weight and hang them on your wall. Read them out loud every day!
46. Don’t push yourself too hard! You don’t want your body to crash.
47. Drink lots and lots of water!
48. You can lose weight without being hungry. If you feel hungry but it isn’t time for your next meal, have one or two small bites of something to keep you satisfied until meal time.
49. If you cave in and eat something bad, don’t be too hard on yourself! Everybody makes mistakes.
50. If you are a fan of fizzy drinks opt for the diet ones. Diet coke has only 1 calorie compared to regular coke which has 150!
51. Eat oats for breakfast. Low GI foods keep you fuller for longer!
52. Stay away from overly processed foods. They are usually very high in fat and
53. Find out what a healthy weight for your height should be
54. Don’t sugarcoat things. From now on you are not ‘cuddly’, ‘big boned’ or ’slightly chubby’. You are “f*cking fat” and you can’t stand it anymore! It’s time to change. Please don’t be offended. I know it may seem over the top and harsh. But if it isn’t painful you won’t change it. Being fat is something you will no longer stand for in your life. It has caused you too much pain and you deserve to feel good about yourself!
55. Listen to your body. If you are craving an apple or something healthy then go ahead. Ignore cravings for junk food.
56. If you crave sugar, have fruit. It contains natural sugars
57. Avoid miracle Diet Pills. Most of them are cons. More about this later!
58. Opt for low calorie dressings on your salads instead of regular
59. Reward yourself when you reach a goal. E.g buy yourself a new outfit (never reward yourself with food)
60. Take your dog for a walk everyday if you have one
61. Only eat lean cuts of meat
62. Make 75% of the food on your plate green vegetables at least once a day
63. Do not skip meals. You need to keep your metabolism going!
64. Avoid packaged or over processed foods and have fresh wholesome foods instead. They usually contain less fat and have fewer preservatives!
65. Have more sex. It releases a chemical that makes you less hungry and burns calories.
66. Cut alcohol from your diet. If you must drink at least choose a low calorie option such as bacardi and diet coke
67. Keep a food diary. It will help you keep track of your calorie intake and make modifications on your eating habits
68. Take a shower when a food craving strikes to take your mind off it and relax your body
69. Throw all the junk food out from your cupboards. If it’s not there you cant eat it!
70. Brush your teeth after eating. It will stop you wanting to eat more and make the food taste bad if you do decide to eat!
71. Eat your salad before you eat your main meal. You’ll consume less calories because you won’t be as hungry!
72. When going on a date, go out for a romantic moonlight beach walk rather than dinner and a movie.
73. Ride your bike or walk to work if you live in close proximity
74. When eating at a restaurant, don’t arrive hungry. Eat fruit or something low calorie before you arrive.
75. Have low fat margarine instead of butter
76. Don’t eat in the kitchen or standing by the fridge or pantry. Put your food on a plate and sit down at the table. That way you can control how much you are actually eating.
77. If you crave chocolate or sweet things late at night have a low calorie hot chocolate. You can buy lite hot chocolate mix from any supermarket at approximately 42 calories.
78. Write a shopping list before you go the supermarket and only buy the things on the list. No sneaking extra goodies into the trolley!
79. Incorporate weights into your training program. The more muscle you have the more calories your body will burn.
80. Eat more spicy foods to speed up your metabolism
81. Eat your vegetables raw. Your body has to work harder to break them down which makes you burn more calories.
82. Eat less salty food. Salty foods make your body retain water and makes you feel fatter. If you feel fatter you will lose motivation. You will also look fatter!
83. Do interval training as cardio. Your heart rate will stay higher after you finish working out. This way you burn more calories even when you aren’t working out. When you do regular training your heart rate goes back to normal straight after you train.
84. Do cardio training after you do weights. You burn calories 200% faster after weight training because your glycogen stores have decreased.
85. Replace trans fats in your diet with polyunsaturated or monounsaturated fatty acids. This lowers cholesterol levels and actually helps your body burn calories! Do this by eating less high fat processed foods and more fresh fruit and vegetables.
86. Buy yourself some new gym clothes. You can’t wear them anywhere else than at the gym so you’ll want to go there to show them off! Black is always slimming, so you’ll feel better about yourself!
87. Get a tan. When you have a tan you look thinner. This will motivate you to lose weight!
88. Eat negative calorie foods such as celery and carrots. Your body burns more calories digesting the food than the calories that they contain.
89. Avoid fried foods at all costs!
90. Bake, broil or roast foods instead of frying them.
91. Use herbs to flavor foods instead of sauces. Sauces are actually quite high in calories. When you are dieting every calorie counts!
92. If you receive chocolates or wine as a gift. Save them for your cheat meal!
93. Sleep at least 8 hours a night. Having less than this WILL increase your appetite.
94. Spend more time in the sun. It increases your metabolism and helps suppress appetite.
95. Eat red meat. The creatine contained in it helps you burn more fat. If you are a vegan/vegetarian take creatine as a supplement.
96. Only take weight loss advice from a thin person. If an overweight person is giving you advice, do not listen.
97. Do a colon cleanse. You can lose up to 10lbs in dried fecal matter. Yucky!
98. If you’re going out for the day, take a low calorie snack with you to have for lunch and a protein shake. You’ll save money and consume fewer calories.
99. Track your progress. If you stop losing weight you need to know so you can do something about it!
100. Track your body fat percentage. You need to ensure that the weight you are losing isn’t all muscle.